Non-motorized Recreation Access

Frequently Asked Questions about Non-motorized Recreation Access


What can I do while on the property?

You are welcome to walk, run, hike, ride a bicycle, horse or mule, walk the dog, photograph wildlife, hunt, fish, picnic, pick berries, etc. on existing roads and trails.  You may not target shoot and you may not build new trails. You may not ride in a vehicle with a motorized recreation access permit holder.  You may also purchase a camping permit if you want to hike, bicycle or horseback ride to a designated camping area.


Why are there individual and family permits?

In an effort to keep permit costs down, we are offering a permit for individuals who may want to hike, bicycle or horseback ride on the property as well as a family permit that is for married spouses and their children less than age 19.


What can I expect when I purchase a permit?

You will receive an email that will serve as your receipt and permit for access.  You MUST print out both pages.  Carry the first page with you while on the property and the second page is to put on the dash of your vehicle if you are parking near the property.  Be prepared to show your permit and photo ID when you are asked by law enforcement, security or Hancock personnel. 


Do non-motorized users need to fill out a sign-in card?

No!  Sign-in cards are for motorized users only and are at the motorized access gates.  Non-motorized users can access the property from any location provided they are not crossing other private property without permission.  We do ask that if non-motorized users harvest game, they mail in a game harvest card or put it in the box at a kiosk at one of the recreation access gates.  Game harvest cards are available at the recreation kiosks or may be printed out from the web site.


 How long is the permit valid?

Annual permits are valid from the date of purchase, after April 1st, through the following March 30th.  Permit holders will need a new permit starting April 1st of each year.


Are there permits that allow access for one-day only?

One-day individual and family permits are available on-line for White River Forest.


Can we maintain existing trails on the property?

Existing trails can be maintained as long as the following rules are followed:

Rules for maintaining trails authorized by and on lands managed by Hancock Forest Management (HFM)

1. Hand tools such as clippers, shovels, rakes, etc. may be used.

2. Chainsaws may be used outside of fire season officially set by Washington DNR, typically from April 15 to October 15 by trained operators using all required manufacturer safety equipment.

3. Down wood may be cut only if it is safe, no standing trees or snags may be cut.

4. Seedlings and samplings may not be damaged.

5. No ATVs, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, etc are allowed.

6. No smoking or warming fires.

7. No building of jumps or similar structures.

8. Trail bridge construction will adhere to the USFS Region 6 Trail Bridge Standard and must be approved in writing by HFM.  Other permits may be required.

9. New trails may be built only with written permission of HFM.

10. All trash must be removed from the premises.

11. All work is at individual’s own risk.

12. Accidents must be reported to HFM immediately at 1-800-782-1493.


Can we build new trails?

All new trail building requires prior permission from Hancock Forest Management.  Send us an email on the Contact Us form and we can begin the conversation about building new trails.


Can I pick berries and mushrooms?

You may pick berries and mushrooms for personal use only, unless you are within the Restricted Use Area on White River where there is no fishing, hunting, or collection of any kind.


Can I build a campfire?

Fires can only be built by those with an additional camping permit and only at specified times of the year in specified areas.   See the camping rules and regulations for details.


If I harvest game, do I need to fill out a game harvest card?

Yes, a game harvest card must be filled out, but you may do so by printing out the on-line game card or fill out a card at any recreation access gate.  Please leave the card at a kiosk at one of the motorized recreation access gates or drop it in the mail to us. 


Where can I get to the property?

Many public roads and trails border Hancock managed property as can be seen on the map.  Please respect the private property rights of others and do not cross their property to get to Hancock property unless you have permission.


Can we host an organized event on the property?  (Ie: horseback riding event, cross-country run, mountain bike event, etc.)

Permits are for personal use only.  Organized events require a special permit and insurance to cover the event.  For more information, call 1-800-782-1493.


Can I hike or ride my bike onto the property in order to do research?

Permits are for personal use only.  All research requires a study plan and special permit for access.  For more information, call 1-800-782-1493.